Abilities Manitoba is pleased to announce Disability Matters: Vote 2016. This non-partisan, cross-disability public awareness campaign is a joint initiative with Barrier Free Manitoba. (Download the Disability Matters: Vote 2016 Overview)
The provincial election will take place on April 19, 2016. The voting choices made by the estimated 168 000 Manitoban adults with disabilities will make a huge difference between real progress on disability issues through to 2020, or years of inadequate resources and attention. When you consider the friends and family members of those 168 000 Manitobans, the voting impact is even more powerful. The voting choices made by people impacted by disabilty will have a considerable bearing on which party forms the next government.
Objectives of Disability Matters: Vote 2016
1. To ensure that all Manitobans with disabilities can participate fully in election activities.
2. To promote priority attention to disability issues in the election.
3. To support Manitobans in making informed voting decisions.
The official launch of Disability Matters: Vote 2016 will coincide with the International Day of Persons with Disabilities:
Thursday, December 3 11am-Noon
Rotunda of the Manitoba Legislature
Please plan to attend!
Please visit the website at www.disabilitymatters2016.ca. You will find links to sign up for updates, volunteer to become involved and make a donation to this worthy campaign.
The coming months are sure to be exciting. Let’s band together and show the collective power of our voices! We look forward to your participation and support.
June 25th 2015- Join us at our Annual General Meeting at The Portage Evangelical Church @ 73 3rd Street NE, Portage La Prairie 6:00pm
Hosts: Ami Chapman and Brett Miller
Please RSVP to Cora: firstname.lastname@example.org
January 27th 2015- Join us and Abilities Manitoba to make sure disabilities issues get the priority attention that is so long overdue:
January 27th 2015- Letter to the NPD Leadership Candidates:
Letter to Candidates
January 27th 2015- NPD Leadership and Disabilities Issues:
Media Release Barrier Free Manitoba -January 27th 2015
Annual General Meeting
VOI invited family and friends to celebrate with us on , September 29th 2014 at
Victoria Heritage Community Centre
950 Sturgeon Road Winnipeg, MB
Please reply by September 22nd to Jessica JCabral@visionsofindependence.org
VOI AGM Invitation 2014
September 3rd, 2014
Funding Crisis in the Community Living
Winnipeg Free Press Article
August 25, 2014
VOI Team Update
- Please welcome Olena Derkach to her new role as Services Coordinator in Winnipeg. The Services Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Services and is responsible for ensuring the service VOI provides to Supported Individuals is consistent with the Vision, Mission and Core Values of our agency.
August 13, 2014
Letter to Minister in Response to the Establishment of a Wage Enhancement Fund for Adults with an Intellectual Disability
Letter to Minister Regarding Wage Enhancement Fund
August 11th, 2014
Province Creates Wage Enhancement Fund for Adults With Intellectual Disabilities
Improved Wages Recognize Valuable Work of Employees: Minister Irvin-Ross
August 7th, 2014
Manitoba Marathon 2014 results
- Our participation at M.M. 2014 was a great success, we collect $3124.50 in donations.
- A big thank you for all VOI runners and Support Individuals for participated in this great event.
- A big thank you for your Cheering Volunteers for sharing time and love with us.
- A huge thank to all our Donors, we are so thankful for your support.
July 16, 2014
Manitoba Marathon 2014 Update
- We have great people running to support Visions of Independence at Manitoba Marathon 2014. Say hello to our runners :
Portage La Prairie Team: Visions of the Finish Line
September 30, 2013
Manitoba Marathon 2014 Campaign
- Our goal is to reach our goal of $20,000.00 for our next accessible home, which will help individuals that are currently living in institutions have a home that they can call their own. Together we can make their dream come true! All donations are welcomed and bring us closer to our goal of helping as many people in need.
Click here to donate
May 15, 2014
Direct of Services in PLP 10 years Anniversary
- A special thank you to Irene for been part of VOI success for the past 10 years. Visions of Independence Team wish you a Happy Anniversary and we’re looking forward to even greater success in the years ahead of us.
September 30, 2013
Direct Support Professional Week
- In countless ways, Direct Support Professionals assist millions of people with disabilities across the nation to lead lives of purpose. Let’s celebrate the DSP Week and the tremendous difference they make each day in the millions of Canadians.
September 12, 2013
VOI New Team Members
- We are very happy to welcome Ven and Jessica to our Management Team at Visions of Independence Winnipeg. We feel proud to be surrounded with such professionals, hardworking and excellent time to our organization. Visions team wish you both all the best for your work and endeavours.
August 22, 2013
Remember the first time you rode a Bicycle
- Remember the first time you rode your very own bike? The freedom, the wind in your hair, and the excitement of exploring? Many of the people we support have never experienced the thrill, exhilaration, and simple joy of riding a bike. Bicycles are excellent for mobility, therapy, recreation, fun, and freedom! Help us raise money towards the purchase of custom bicycles. Our hope is to provide at least one in Winnipeg and one in Portage this year with the proceeds earned from the MB Marathon Fundraiser.
May 1th, 2013
Manitoba Marathon 2013 Campaign
- So by now all staff should be aware that we are participating in the MB Marathon on June 16th. We have a call out to all staff for volunteers for our committee, runners, teams, pre-race expo and race day. We need volunteers at all levels and for all types of jobs
- We currently have 6 runners registered so please feel free to get some healthy competition going for donations for either of those individuals at:
- All donations stay within VOI and can go towards anything we can think of to assist and support Individuals. Do you have a request for one of the Individuals you currently support? Is there something you would like to see the money raised go towards? Please let us know, give a call, send an email, drop in at the next Marathon meeting on Thursday, April 18 @ 7 pm. Bring yourself, your spouse, your friends are welcome to attend and volunteer We look forward to hearing your ideas.
- Please share these links on facebook, twitter or any other social media you can think of, we are creating awareness and raising funds for Individuals to live independent lives within community homes. This is what we do, and it is important.
Click here to donate to VOI
April 10, 2013
Jennifer Hagedorn interview at CBC
- This is the link to the podcast that Jennifer had with CBC’s Carol Off talking about the building code situation. If you are interested download the mp3 file and listen to it on your computer. Her segment starts about 28 min 30 seconds into the program; it goes for about 5 minutes.
April 10, 2012
Empty Houses needing People
- Read the article published by CBC on March 25th about houses sitting empty due to new building code amendments.
Click herthe to see the full article
April 10, 2013
Day Program Grant
- VOI is excited to announce we have received a grant from the Community Services Council to put towards our new day program in Winnipeg. The $10,000 grant will be used for items to furnish our life skills and employment skills programs. Thank you MCSC!!
September 24 ,2012
Annual General Meeting – 2012
- VOI invited to to be part of our Annual General Meeting, September 27th 2012. Bring family and friends.
Click here to see the invitation
August 15, 2012
- Our Winnipeg offices have moved! Our new location is at 211-530 Century Street. We needed more space to accommodate our new Day Program that opened in the summer of 2012.
July 10, 2012